An easy cocktail recipe for a
The classic longdrink with lemon juice and soda water
- 3 parts gin
- 2 parts lemon juice
- 1 part sugar syrup
- sparkling water (soda)
- ice cubes
- longdrink glass (highball glass)
How to mix a Tom Collins
For a Tom Collins cocktail put the gin, the lemon juice, the sugar syrup, and some ice cubes in a longdrink glass and stir. Fill with sparkling water and put a lemon slice and a cocktail cherry in the glass.
Bartender’s tips and advice
- Fresh mint stays fresh for a little longer if you put it in a small plastic bag and place this plastic bag in a fridge. Always use fresh mint. While you can work with packaged fruit juice instead of fresh one, there’s no way around using fresh mint for cocktails.
- Always try to use fresh squeezed lime juice for the Gin Fizz. Using fresh juices is key to preparing classic cocktails with a great taste. There´s at least 1 oz. (= 3 cl) of juice in every lemon.
- The Tom Collins has the same ingredients as the Gin Sour and the Gin Fizz. But there are small but important differences in how those three drinks are prepared. Try all of them to find your favorite!
- Shake the Gin Fizz, fill with sparkling water and serve in a tumbler with ice cubes and no garnish.
- Shake the Gin Sour. Then add only a dash of sparkling water and don’t add any ice to the glass. Add just a slice of lemon to the glass.
- Stirr the Tom Collins. Then fill with soda and serve in a highball glass filled with ice cubes, add a cocktail cherry and a slice of lemon.
- Find more tips and interesting facts in the bartenders guide.