An easy cocktail recipe for a
The classic cocktail with crushed ice and lots of fresh mint
- 1 part cognac (brandy)
- 3 parts sparkling water (soda water)
- if you like: dashes of dark rum
- several twigs of fresh mint
- crushed ice
- tumbler (old-fashioned glass)
How to mix a Mint Julep
For a Mint Julep cocktail (aka Brandy Julep) put sugar, a dash of sparkling water (soda water) and 3-4 twigs of fresh lemon per regular-sized glass in a glass and crush them. Pour this mixture in the tumbler (old-fashioned glass). Fill completely with crushed ice and add the cognac (brandy). Stir slightly and garnish with twigs of fresh mint. If you like, top the drink with a dash of dark rum and serve with straws.
Bartender’s tips and advice
- Traditionally this drink has been garnished with twigs of fresh mint, grapes, slices of orange, slices of pineapple and slices of strawberry… quite a fruit salad! Give it a try, it’s delicious and looks just great!
- The Mint Julep is the classic among the juleps. It’s also called brandy-julep. Always use fresh mint for the juleps. Keep fresh mint in the fridge rolled-up in a plastic bag to make it stay fresh for a longer time.
- Find more tips and interesting facts in the bartenders guide.