An easy cocktail recipe for a
The famous Brazilian cocktail with Cachaça
- a lime
- lime syrup if you like
- brown sugar
- crushed ice
- tumbler (old-fashioned glass)
How to mix a Caipirinha
For a Caipirinha cut the lime into 8 wedges and put in the glass. Add sugar. Muddle the lime and sugar together until they are well mixed. Fill the glass completely with crushed ice and add the cachaca. Stir. Garnish with a twist of lime peel if you like (it’s seldomly done).
If you prefer a “Caipi” that doesn’t taste as strong add a dash of lime syrup.
Bartender’s tips and advice
- Try drinking the caipirinha directly through the ice without using straws. Even more refreshing I think.
- Don’t confound fresh lime juice with lime juice syrup. While lime juice is pure fruit juice, lime juice syrup contains lime juice, water and sugar. The problem for all the confusion: a famous lime juice syrup’s name is “Rose’s Lime Juice” although it definitely is a syrup!
- For many years in a row during the 1990s the Caipirinha (or Caipi in short) was the most popular drink in Germany and other European countries.
- Find more tips and interesting facts in the bartenders guide.